September 19, 2014

#31DC2014 31-Day Challenge - Day 19 - Galaxy

I've been an avid science fiction fan since I was very young. I read the sci-fi novels of Robert Heinlein, Ray Bradbury, Frank Herbert, Arthur C. Clarke, and many others. I loved movies like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Forbidden Planet, The Days the Earth Stood Still, and even Planet of the Apes. And do I really need to explain what a huge Trekkie I was (and still am)? But it wasn't until I was flipping channels one evening and randomly stopped on PBS that I was introduced to Doctor Who.

Sure, the original series was supposed to be more of a kid's show and it could be silly at times but I loved the idea of a Time Lord (my first Doctor was the incredible Tom Baker), who could travel to anywhere in time and space, in a ship that looked like an old English police box that was bigger on the inside. And when the new Doctor Who launched on BBC America, I fell in love with it all over again! So there was no way I could create galaxy nails for today's challenge without including a blue box careening across the universe.


I used many different colors and glitters for today's challenge.


For the galaxy:
  • Maybelline Color Show - Black Onyx
  • Orly - Masked Ceremony (an amazing black-based glitter)
  • OPI - Alpine Snow
  • Revlon - Blue Slate
  • Revlon - Cafe Pink
  • China Glaze - Spontaneous
  • China Glaze - Fairy Dust
  • Fergie by Wet n Wild - Kaleidoscope Eyes
For the vortex and the TARDIS:
  • Sinful Colors - Pull Over
  • Sinful Colors - Rain Storm
  • LA Colors - Lime Life
It's hard to described, to people who aren't Doctor Who fans, why those of us who are love it so much. But this quotes comes pretty close:
Because I've seen him. He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever... He burns at the center of time and he can see the turn of the universe... And...he's wonderful. (Doctor Who - "The Family of Blood")

No comments:

Post a Comment