September 13, 2014

#31DC2014 31-Day Challenge - Day 13 - Animal Print

Regarding today's design: I'm not sure I've ever done nail art that looked so different from how I imagined it and yet that I was still so pleased with how it came out. 

Last school year, I was helping my son do a science project and I came across a picture of a beautiful tropical snake with purple scales that faded into its yellow belly and jewel-like green eyes. When I was planning today's design, I knew I wanted to do an "homage" to that snake.



However, once I started the design, nothing went right. I had planned to use netting and a sponge to make the scales, but I ended up with a muddled mess. Desperate for an alternative, I looked through my stamping plates and, luckily, I had one that looked like reptile scales. But when I tried it, I realized I had to adjust the colors I'd planned to use. Plus, I'd never created a nail stamp with more than a single color, so it took several tries to get the technique to work. Finally, I ended up with something I liked.


Not at all what I had in mind, but the more I looked at the finished design, the happier I was with it. The colors I used for this design are:

  • Wet n Wild - On A Trip
  • Wet n Wild - Disturbia
  • Sinful Colors - Pull Over
  • Sinful Colors - Call You Later
  • Maybelline Color Show - Onyx Rush
Have you created a "nail fail" that ended up looking better than you anticipated? Let's discuss it in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment