October 13, 2014

Daily Design - Halloween - Frankenstein

The season's first cold front has lowered the temps in Dallas from 92 on Friday to 62 (and falling) today. Now that the air's more brisk, my thoughts are turning to the best part about the autumn...Halloween! And when you're a classic movie fan like I am, one of the best things about Halloween is Karloff, Lugosi, Chaney, and all their great black-and-white horror films.


Today's design is a tribute to Boris Karloff and the original Frankenstein. Each nail represents part of the story: the graveyards where Dr. Frankenstein found his "parts", the lightning that created the spark of life, the face of the monster, Frankenstein's triumphant cry, and the tragic encounter with the little girl picking flowers.

The design is original, inspired by the movie. The polish and materials I used are:
  • L'Oreal - Greycian Goddess
  • Sephora by OPI - Matte Top Coat
  • Black and white acrylic paint
  • Sable paintbrush with fine, detail tip

Difficulty (1=Easy, 10=Difficult)

  • Dominant Hand - 8
    Freehand painting is still difficult for me and, although the acrylic paint and fine tip brush made it easier, it was hard to get pictures and lettering I found acceptable. The lightning was the easiest to paint and the monster's face was the hardest.
  • Non-dominant Hand - Not Applicable
    This is one of those designs that I didn't even attempt using my left hand because I knew it would be almost impossible. Instead, I used the same base polish (Greycian Goddess) and created googly eyes with my dotting tool (looking in horror, no doubt, at the rise of the monster).

Newbie Notes
I've seen a lot of nail art created with acrylic paints, but this is the first time I'd ever used it myself. Wow, what a difference it made! Acrylics are much easier to work with than polish, mainly because they don't dry out as fast. In addition, I used one of my new ultra-fine brushes and that made all the detailed work (especially the lettering) go much smoother. It takes very little acrylic paint to create a design, so the set of small tubes I purchased (in red, yellow, blue, brown, white, and black) should last for a long time. Finally, the acrylics didn't smear when I applied the matte top coat. Overall, I had a good experience using acrylics and I would definitely recommend them to other newbies.

No comments:

Post a Comment