October 17, 2014

Daily Design - Falling Leaves

Unlike many sections of Dallas, the area I live in is chock-a-block full of tall, old growth trees. This green belt surrounding a small city lake is one of the few areas you can see a wonderful display of the leaves changing color in the autumn. It's also one of the few areas where homeowners have to rake leaves, but it's a trade off that's well worth it.



Today's design is a tribute to those leaves, which I'll be enjoying (and raking) over the next few months. The design is inspired by several dotticures I've seen on IG over the past month. The polishes I used are:

  • Pure Ice - Shore Bet
  • Revlon - French Roast
  • Revlon - Entice
  • Sinful Colors - Pull Over
  • Sinful Colors - Big Daddy

Difficulty (1=Easy, 10=Difficult)

  • Dominant Hand - 2
    This is a very easy design to create. I used a fine nail brush to draw the edge for the brown tip on the ring finger and filled it in with the regular polish brush. I also used the fine nail brush to draw the tree. The rest of the design was created with a small tipped dotting tool. To achieve a good random mix of colors, I did two rounds of alternating dots in each leaf color
    —orange, yellow, green then orange, yellow, green again. I finished it off with a few random brown dots.
  • Non-dominant Hand - 2.5
    One of the things I love about dotticures is they're just as easy to do with my left hand as with my right. Even drawing the tree is almost as easy, due to the random nature of the placement of the branches.

Newbie Notes

I love finding designs that are easy to do and fun to wear, and this is one of those designs! Whenever someone looks at one of my nail designs and says "That's so cool. I could never do that." I always recommend they try a dotticure. They're easy to do, they look great, and they can be created without any special equipment (which can be important to someone new to nail art). I have my own dotting tools now, but when I first started I used things like toothpicks, bobby pins, and the tip of a pencil. In fact, so many different types of designs can be created with dots, you could never learn another technique and still create a multitude of beautiful nail art.

No comments:

Post a Comment