October 9, 2014

Daily Design - Autumn Vines

Now that the 31-Day Challenge is over and I've decided to keep this blog going, I realized it needs a specific focus—a "mani-festo" if you will (sorry, I couldn't resist). Since it's called "Nail Design Newbie" and I'm still a beginner when it comes to nail art, it seems fitting that my blog focus on the issues that concern those of us who don't have a lot of experience and are still learning how to make our nail design look presentable.

Each "Daily Design" post will discuss:
  1. The inspiration for the design (if I didn't create it myself)
  2. The polishes, decorations, tools, etc. I used
  3. Difficulty rating for the dominant and non-dominant hand
  4. A "Newbie Notes" section describing the problems I had creating the design
Let's get started!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The temperatures haven't dropped all that much in Texas yet, but I've been seeing so much beautiful Fall nail art that it's put me in the mood to do some. This design was originally created by Nails2Match but I changed the polish colors.

I've been trying a new base coat (American Classics - Bridge the Ridge) and top coat (Sally Hansen - Insta-Dri). The other polishes I used are:
  • Revlon - Elegant (base color)
  • Kiss Nail Art Paint - Black (abstract "wall")
  • Sally Hansen Hard As Nails - Brownstone (vines & leaves)

Difficulty (1=Easy, 10=Difficult)

  • Dominant Hand - 3
    This wasn't too hard to create with my right hand, although I had a little trouble with the polish on the wall sections being too thick.
  • Non-dominant Hand - 5
    The leaf shapes and vines were more difficult to draw with my left hand, but not impossible.

Newbie Notes

I'm fairly pleased with the way this design came out. My main complaint is that the leaves and vines aren't delicate enough and I think the trouble was my nail brush. I just bought a new set of nail brushes including a few with ultra-fine tips but I didn't use them here. I've noticed that I have trouble judging the size of design elements when I'm looking at a picture from the internet. Maybe it will get easier when I have more experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment