October 2, 2014

#31DC2014 Final Round-Up - 2014 31-Day Nail Art Challenge

I really didn't know what to expect when, a little over a month ago, I decided to participate in Chalkboard Nails' 31-Day Nail Art Challenge. It's not like anyone knows me in the nail art world, since I only recently started sharing my designs on social media. I figured it would just be an opportunity for me to try something new, push my limits as a nail art hobbyist, and see a lot af great designs from some truly talented artists.

Yesterday was the last day of the challenge and the experience was everything I expected and more. The nail artists I met during the month of September were incredibly welcoming to me as a newbie and I'm just blown away by all the encouraging words and helpful hints they offered during our time togetherincluding the discovery of the Flipogram app that I used to create my round-up video below. I'm very grateful for everyone's kindness, help, and advice.


Besides being my first nail art challenge, this experience is special to me for another reason. As I explained in my opening blog post, I became interested in nail art during the aftermath of my battle with breast cancer. I was diagnosed with an aggressive form called "triple negative" (the same type Today show's Joan Lunden is battling right now) in November 2008. Every year as summer turns to autumn, I face several weeks of testingincluding my yearly diagnostic mammogramto determine if I'm still cancer free. As you can imagine, this is a very nerve-wracking experience and I usually end up worrying myself sick.

Participating in the 31-Day Challenge was the perfect distraction that kept my mind occupied and prevented much of the anxiety I usually experience during this time of year. I'm very, VERY grateful for that too. (By the way, my mammogram was clear so, unless my doctors have new information, in November I'll be cancer free for six years. Yay!)

In the final tally, I created 32 new nail art designs (31 for the challenge and 1 for The Lacquer Legion), used about 50 different polishes, emptied a bottle each of polish remover and pure acetone, used about half a (large) bag of cotton balls, and wore out my flat paint brush. In addition, I have a really long list of new nail designs and techniques I want to try and a badge from Chalkboard Nails to proudly display on my blog. Overall, it was an amazing experience!

I wasn't sure if I would keep this blog going after the challenge was over, but it's been so much fun that I've decided to keep posting new nail art (and maybe other topics) as the mood strikes. I hope to keep learning and I'm looking forward to meeting many more nail artists and participating more in the community. 

Thanks again to everyone for such a wonderful introduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment